Monday 16 May 2016

Tottenham Hotspur had a great season. Why did I just punch out a window?

Tottenham Hotspur finished the Premier League season in 3rd place. This is the highest Spurs have ever finished in the Premier League, and it means that we will play in the Champions League next year. The added revenue should help the team keep its star players and reload with necessary talent, especially in central midfield. While finishing behind Arsenal again is disappointing, I cannot complain about the results of this season.

Also, I'm currently in a fugue state.

Think about it. If it was August—hell, if it was November, and Future You returned from May in a time machine and said that Spurs would finish third in the Premier League, you would take it and you wouldn't ask questions. Tottenham were projected to finish between 5th and 7th this year by basically everyone. In the first few months of the season, even as Spurs played some of their best football in years, it was not clear at all that a third place finish could possibly be experienced as a disappointment. Even after today, Tottenham finished ahead of both Manchester clubs for the first time in decades.

I just crossed the Jersey state line, and I'm not sure what my name is or why I have editorial access at SB Nation to publish this article. What precise events brought me to this place, how my clothes came be shredded down to oily, wet rags, or why every five to ten minutes I need to pull my knees to my chest and sob until I cannot breathe, I do not know.

Take a step back from the 5-1 defeat at Newcastle and look—really, objectively look at what Spurs have accomplished for the club's future. Think about what it will be like to be a Spurs fan next year. We'll have Champions League football! Tuesdays at White Hart Lane under the lights against the greats of Europe! From a business perspective, Tottenham can expect new revenue in the tens of millions of pounds. Champions League means added prestige that should help draw a few more exciting young stars to wear Lilywhite and fight for us on the pitch next year.

So, I've pulled over to the side of the road briefly to type this out on my phone. I found my phone in my pocket along with keys to a house I don't recall, but I do not appear to have a wallet or ID. The car I'm driving I don't recognize, and based on the broken glass on the passenger seat and the blood pouring from my knuckles, it may not be mine at all.

Anyway, let's think about this season. Tottenham Hotspur had huge questions about our football from last year. The club's midfield was dysfunctional, and no one allowed more dangerous counterattacks through the center than Spurs. What we learned this year is that, whatever doubts might have arisen last year, Mauricio Pochettino's tactics work. He built Spurs into a high-pressing machine who stifled opposition attacks before they could start and outran and outworked nearly everyone in the Premier League. He developed talent, integrating teenage phenom Dele Alli into the side while transforming Eric Dier from a middling center back prospect into one of the best and most important DMs in the league. Poche demanded that Spurs hang on to Erik Lamela and developed him into one of the league's top all-around attacking midfielders. We have a manager with effective, modern tactics, strong man-management and talent evaluations skills, who has earned the buy-in to work and work harder from his young charges. A year-end slump should not blind us to what this club has accomplished.

Speaking of blind, while my eyes can see physically it's like my soul is entirely senseless. I may have a job to which I must shortly return, I could have a family or a child waiting for me, and it's not even that I don't remember, I also don't care. I don't recall if I have or previously could feel love, but I know I must go west on I-78 at speeds that endanger the vast majority of people on the road with me. With a certainty that would scare me if I remembered what "fear" was, I know this will not end badly. In all likelihood by this time tomorrow I will not have killed again.

It cannot be denied: The 2015-2016 season was ultimately a success and Tottenham's future is clearly, objectively bright.

But if you need to go to Allentown today, you should probably take the state highways instead.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment